Nostalgia

The McArd family business was started around 1850 by Joseph McArd (Paul's Great Great Grandfather) known as 'Jos', under the name of J McArd & Co, it later became J McArd & Son, when Paul's Great Grandfather (also Joseph McArd) joined the firm.

The company name carried on under John Joseph McArd (Paul's Grandfather) and built in the early part of the 1900's such buildings as:-

  • Marine Biological Station for Liverpool University
  • Two Methodist Churches, the Catholic Church in Port Erin and The Church of England in Port St Mary
  • The Ocean Castle (formerly The Hydro) in Port Erin
  • Port Erin Railway Station
  • Sulby Bridge
  • Rushen School
  • Laxey School & some of the Douglas Schools
  • Flats & shops for Douglas Corporation
  • Collinson's Cafe in Port Erin
  • Port Erin Telephone Exchange
  • The Windsor Hotel and Cafe
  • Several Streets of houses in the south of the Island.

Together they built private housing estates in Port Erin (Surby, Ballakneale, Cronk Sumark, Athol Meadow, Droghadfayle Park), Colby (Ballastrooan,Ballachrink, Croit-e-Cubbon & Ballakeyll), and Ballasalla (Glashen Estate).

They built a large part of Ballalough in Castletown, Ballachurry Park in Onchan, Vicarage Park in Braddan, Cronk-y-Berry & Mountain View Estate in Douglas. Along with various private houses throughout the island.

The company also built many council estates such as:-

  • Second Avenue in Onchan
  • Smetana Close, Farrants Park & Maynrys in Castletown
  • Part of Ballakilley Close in Port Erin
  • Fairyhill Estate in Ballafesson
  • Cronk Grianagh in Braddan
  • The final phase of Anagh Coar & Donkeyfield Phase 2A in Douglas

McArd have built several Elderly Person's Housing Complexes over the years including Springfield Court, as well as many well known buildings and extensions.

The Police Headquarters in Douglas, Shoprite Stores and Holiday Chalets, James Caine's in Douglas, school extensions to Ballakermeen, the Buchan and many more.

McArd Contractors Limited (as it is now) was formed in 1979 to take the business into competitive contracting from the previously active J.J. McArd & Son.

The McArd family company can look back over the last 150 years and are proud to have contributed more to the Islands building trade than any other company or firm.

Since1995, whilst retaining a strong influence in Contracting, the Company also completed many prestigious private developments including:

The Willows, Vicarage Park, Rhenwyllan Close, Athol Park, Surby, Droghadfayle Park, Eagle Mews, Orange Grove House, Africa Court, Malew Street, The Wharfside Apartments and St. George's Apartments.

Soon to be developed is Babington Court, consisting of 7 detached houses.

The McArd Group are Main Building Contractors and Property Developers, involved in Private and Public housing schemes, Retail/Apartment blocks and all types of public works from Industrial to Commercial schemes.

Click on images to view Our Gallery

The McArd Group, Church Road, Port Erin, Isle of Man, IM9 6AQ
Tel. 01624 833122 - Fax. 01624 835329
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.